Friday, April 29, 2011

Kind Gestures.....

Have you ever seen a person do something completely out of character to make a person feel worthy?  Tonight I saw someone do something so nice it brought tears to my eyes.  Even blogging about this is hard because thinking about this makes my eyes water up with thankfulness that there are people capable of doing something nice because they want to.

You see, DD has been studying taekwondo for years.  It all started as an idea of mine to get my child involved in something that will build confidence, give her a form of exercise, and to be able to learn how to defend herself.  The family that runs this martial arts school are absolutely WONDERFUL people that really care about their students.  They are a tough, but gentle group that believe that you can do great things when you try.  The father of the family is one tough cookie, but the nicest person you will ever know.  His voice is something that is never to be reckoned with, but knows how to get his students to pay attention and work hard.  The mother of the family is nothing other than a woman of steel.  She is the kindest person to talk to and is a major example setter because she can keep up with these kids.  They do have 3 sons that are very competitive, strong and courteous. A perfect example of being perfect gentlemen.  Usually, when you see these 3 sons participate in class, they have a talent that cannot be denied.  Their abilities are what I would love to see DD become able to do.  I know it takes confidence to do great in this sport, but that is where she seems to be lacking.  

Well tonight was her chosen night to do a double class.  She is extremely close to becoming a black belt.  She knows the moves, she is able to perform with strength and power, but she seems to fall a bit short when it comes to sparring.  Tonight's double class was one class of technical lessons and the other class that strictly helps hone their abilities to fight.  DD dreads sparring.  Well, tonight's class was about being quick and strong.  Each "match" was timed to only 10 seconds and there is one winner per match.  All it took was to be the first one to land a solid punch or kick to their opponent to be winner.  The class was divided up into groups of 5 and only 1 person can win a match to go on to battle another.  DD's group had 2 black belts that are quite competitive and one of them was the son of the headmaster of the school.  His name is Casey.  He is a nice kid, very respectful, but very competitive.  He rarely ever loses a match.  Well, also being a 3rd degree black belt should be the indication that he is no slacker.  DD is a red/black belt.  Only one more test away to becoming a black belt.  She is kind, respectful, and has no competitive edge to her.  As I volunteered to be one of the judges, I was placed to judge the ring that DD was sparring in.  Being as honest and impartial as I can be, I watched for the winning hit to declare the winner.  DD steps up, bows in, and is ready.  She is sparring against Casey...  YIKES!  All I said before the match is to do your best to DD and asked Casey one question...  "Do you believe in DD".  His reply was "yes" and the match started.  Knowing that Casey is extremely talented in sparring, I would have figured he would have made the winning move quickly.  I was just surprised that Casey left himself open to get hit first.  I saw the look in his eyes when he lost to DD.  It was the look of I know I let her win because she deserves a chance to believe in herself, but she did good.  He made sure that she had no clue that his effort was lowered for her.  A smile came across his face when he hears DD exclaim... "I won against Casey!?!?!  I can hold my head up high because I won sparring against the best kid in class!  I tried my best and I did it!!  Thanks for believing in me!"  It did not really hit me until she sparred against the other black belt and lost that Casey really did one small thing to boost the morale of my daughter because he can.  She was so proud of herself and I was proud of her too.  I was just really touched by Casey's kind gesture that letting someone else win to get them to believe in them self again.  He is a champion in my book because his little gesture changed DD's confidence level to really try.

It is just nice to see that some people choose to let you win when you never really won before.  Kindness like that gives me hope that life is capable of being uplifting.  Seeing that spark of confidence in DD's eyes was Casey's reward for his kind gesture....  Well, that and my mention to his mom my appreciation that her son can be so kind and elevate the confidence of DD to keep working hard and to believe in herself when she would never really listen when I tell her that I believe in her.  I guess all it took was for someone else other than me to believe in her to make her shine.

1 comment:

  1. I have seen some people like that...Thanks for sharing this!...Daniel

    ReplyDelete