Sunday, April 22, 2012

When it rains, it pours... well, maybe a slight drizzle ;)

Good morning!  Ever notice when you have advance notice of something that has to be attended to, we seem to have a hard time getting back to a regular schedule for a few days afterward?  I know, I know... this question sounds a little weird.  Let me explain it this way.....

I knew I had a change in my daily routine roughly 3 weeks ago.  My usual Saturday thing is to get up around 6, take a shower, get dressed, put on my makeup and ease myself into greeting a day at the salon.  By the time I finish dragging my heels (since I am not really a morning person), this simple task takes me roughly an hour and a half before I leave for work.  Once I leave, I stop by the local convenience store to get something to drink and even stop by the McDonalds for a breakfast sandwich.  Yes, there is a Weight Watcher-points figured out- reasonable choice breakfast sandwich.  Then I get myself to work, haul my equipment in, set up and face the day that technically starts at 8am.  Well, there was a fashion show for the local church this weekend and the salon I work for volunteered their services of hair and makeup.  With Saturdays being the busiest day of the week, we accommodated for this show by taking care of these people before we were to open and partially into our regular hours of operation, thus making it necessary for some of the girls at the salon to get to work before their day was to begin.  Now, it was only an hour earlier for me, but it somehow put me in time management mode to start my day even earlier.  I hate being late for things.  Knowing that I would have to get up an hour earlier should not be such a big deal, but as I stated before... I need more time in the morning to get into that "happy to be awake" zone.  I planned out how I needed to do this, I got prepared in advance, and I had my alarm clock set to wake me an hour earlier.  Knowing that I was as prepared as I could be, even if the day was to not go smoothly, I felt prepared.

Well, after spending the week prior to this getting ready with how I was to do things...  I forgot to take my allergy medicine before the weather was to take on its turn.  My allergies hit hard and fast and the worst of it hit the day before this event.  Oh joy!  Sniffles, sneezes, coughing, itchy eyes, and sore throat bundled with knocking my back out of whack made it really hard to get a decent night's rest.  Up roughly every half hour, pacing the floors to get my nose to "unstuff" since the decongestant can do only so much, to laying on the floor to get the spasm in my back to settle from the tossing and turning when I was able to sleep, I knew I was up for a challenge.  By 4:30 in the morning, I gave up the hope of getting any sleep and proceeded to get ready for the day ahead.  Showered, dressed and ready, I did not look at the clock before I decided to leave.  I was a half hour ahead of schedule.  Adrenaline pumping from being psyched that I had a fairly full day ahead of me, I get myself a caffeine free soda at the store, got my breakfast sandwich, and waited in the parking lot of work for someone with a key to let me in so I could set up.  My day had me just working everywhere.

I get my first client at 7.  I just finished setting up.  Makeup was the start of my day.  While young faces are the easiest to work on, my first two clients were much older and more of a challenge, but the adrenaline running through my veins made easy work of what I had to do.  Being on a time crunch, I was actually ahead of schedule.  Then my next client (another makeup) came in late.  No worries, she had to wait.  I got 2 more makeups to do that did not make an appointment.  Then, after finally catching up with all the makeup to do, I get 2 more makeups and missed out on an updo, but did do a little makeup on that client.  I get a break from the makeup station and return to my hair station to do a haircut.  Then I was off to do a manicure on a client.  While I am able to do nails, I am not the biggest fan of that job.  My back does not like being hunched over like that.  Then off to do a highlight and color touch up, another haircut.  Somewhere I got a change to eat a sandwich, but I ate it so fast I did not get a chance to taste it.  By the time I was finished... it was 4:00 in the afternoon.  That was an awesome day in my book!  Darn shame that all of that makeup was done for free for this fashion show.  If it was a charged service, I would have gotten the opportunity to have a really nice paycheck in my future, but alas, I won't.  I love my job and even if I did it all for free, I would still love it, but I do like to have a little something for my efforts.  Well... onward I go....

After all of that work, I return home to make dinner for the family and crash on the couch.  That adrenaline and being so busy had me forget that I have a raging, full blown allergy issue to deal with... and between the fact that the shoes I wore to work have virtually no arch support and these allergies...  once I get a chance to rest...  I felt like I was hit by a bus.  Figuring that I would get some good rest once I take something for the allergies that will knock me out was apparently not in the cards for me.  Yes, I took the medicine, yes, I took a nice nap (only 2 hours), but sleep would elude me again.  Another night of tossing and turning.. of pacing and stretching, and waking up every half hour feeling the fear of oversleeping again makes me wonder if I have some residual effects of something similar to OCD.  Yet again, I was up before the sun rose...  UGH!  This bites!

Well, off to get this day going.  Gotta make the grocery list, make breakfast, get the dishes done, and go back to work...  I offered to do some work on a co-worker's hair...  In fact, 2 co-workers.

Come Monday.... I am going to the doctor and the Chiropractor.  It is time to focus on me just a little.

Have a great day everyone and thanks for reading :)

No comments:

Post a Comment