Kids these days!!! They can be so thick-skull-ed. I should know.... I was one once. So was DH, but he has managed to add a few layers to his already thick skull over the years. I just wonder when the endless reminders of how to take care of things will finally reach their brains and realize I was right.
While I can understand that kids will always believe that their parents are clueless drones that suck the fun out of everything, I know that a time does finally come along that they get it, but at the expense of becoming a parent themselves and experience the frustration that comes with the job. I thought I had a good grasp of the concept of seeing the light by letting DD see the end result of her poor judgement and remind her that if she listened to me, she could have avoided all this disaster in the first place. She is young enough to not make really terrible judgement calls yet, so the things she does should only need a simple fix, but is devastating enough to get her attention. She is too attached to that laptop and her mp3 player, and I knew that it would be only a matter of time that those things would break. I have reminded her endless times that using the laptop on her bed with the charger attached would break the adapter or break the connection that is inside the machine. That she needs to use the charger on the laptop when she is at a table or desk and NOT ON HER BED OR THE COUCH. We have already been through 2 sets of charging adapters because the wire would snap from being bent so much and one trip to the computer store for the internal connection to be re-soldered. I figured that she got the clue, but she has the knack of only really listening and following the new way of doing things for a little while and returns to doing things her own way after a while. Hmmm.... sounds familiar to another person that does that.... Oh, that's right.... HER FATHER! Since this tidbit of a revelation came to the surface.... I realized that I am DOOMED! What is it with these two??? Fix the problem for a little while and return to the way things were when they were to create a repeat performance. Heck, DH can change, but only in short bursts. His attention to change is so short lived, I can predict to the day (and possibly the hour) when he returns to his old habits that ticked me off in the first place. When it comes to DD, well, she is becoming just as predictable as her father. So, when it comes to letting them hang themselves on the rope of stubbornness to change..... I am not sure that it is as effective as I hoped it would be, but with my new attitude of just not caring.... I will laugh when their poor judgement snowballs out of control so I can tell them..... "I TOLD YOU SO"... ;) I never thought that I would be that person that takes pride in saying that I am right, but after so many times of being right... I just figured that I could at least enjoy it.
The recent events of DD not listening to my requests regarding the laptop and her mp3 player were the proof that mom was right, again. DH cannot figure how to fix the mp3 player, but still will not get her a replacement, but he asked me if he could hard-wire the charging plug to the laptop since the connection inside was destroyed beyond repair. I told him to do whatever he wants or thinks is a solution to the problem. I already know that his repair will work, but only for a while because the apple of his eye does not fall from his tree. She will revert to her old habits and break it again. I just get to laugh when it does happen. What she needs is a relic of a desktop unit that she cannot move to other parts of the house. Yep, it might be more expensive (I have not shopped for a new computer for a while, so who knows.... it might be cheaper than a laptop), but you get the reassurance that the computer is where it should be... on a level surface. I have hid my iPod, so that should be safe (for now). I have even locked the door to the room where my desktop is so I can avoid getting that broken. Well, getting my e-mail account hacked was not fun, but so far... so good, that I have not had any other issues. Sadly, I do more deleting of browser history than ever and I now have returned to checking my e-mail account frequently to keep track. Also, I am still trying to remember my new passwords because I will not allow my computer to store them anymore. I just need to find a good hiding spot for my Kindle when I do not have it in my hands. Good enough that she can't find it, but in a place where I will remember where I put it.
Well, today is the start of the Strawberry Festival in this one town not too far away from where I live. My mom is biting at the bit to go and have me chauffeur her around (I already got 2 phone calls in the span of 30 minutes), she really wants to get some strawberry doughnuts, apparently, and I have to take her. I told her I would call her back and decide when I would go and take her. I just have to get DD motivated to go. I do know that we (meaning DD and I) need to get out and enjoy this summer more, so going to this shindig is what we need. I just have to get motivated to motivate DD. Sigh... Oh well... my book can wait.
Have a good one everybody! Thanks for reading.
No comments:
Post a Comment