Just the other night, my big brother gives me a call and has me offer my insight of the only trilogy I felt compelled to read more than once to a complete stranger. I figured it would be easy, but I was given the challenge to not give away the ending or really any of the story line. Apparently, there are a few people out there that has not gone ahead and purchased the most talked about book series since Harry Potter. While I can give a fairly good synopsis of what the books are about, I was asked something I was not ready for......
"What makes the Fifty Shades of Grey books a must read to the masses?"
Well, as I tried to wrap my head around what other people are thinking, I only had to offer my thoughts and decided to go from there....
You see, the premise of the books is basically a romance gone awry. While in my previous experiences with the genre of romance novels, I recall the stories being quite dry and predictable. Out of morbid curiosity, I got roped into the hype and actually enjoyed the story. I think I could do with less of the soft-core porn (it was quite uncomfortable for me to read). Also, I have not met a woman alive that is capable of coming apart at the seams after their first sexual experience (no matter how good looking or talented he may be). Knowing that this has to be the most far fetched concept alive, I was able to get over the discomfort of how incredible Christian Grey was and what he obviously enjoyed. In reality..... I have either gotten shortchanged my whole life, or men have no clue what they are doing (ha ha ha ha). Nonetheless..... What managed to get my attention was how initial lust can remain once the three little words of I love you can be spoken. Also, the premise about a man so set in his ways is willing to change his views and accommodate the needs of another and be perfectly happy with it. I have never seen a relationship like the one the two main characters had. While there was plenty of drama, jealousy, flirting, and secrets once the second and third book come along. I just ended up enjoying the actual story that was hidden behind the shock and awe that was on the surface.
Now, as I explained to this girl my thoughts, I had to reinforce the reason for the addiction to the story. In real life, there is only limited moments of lust happening in our lives. It happens in the beginning stages of relationships. That initial draw that pulls two people to connect.... The excitement that happens; the butterflies, the giddiness, and those heart-melting gestures that bring along the feeling of love and being loved. It is those memories that all women have of the really cute, funny and heartwarming things men do to win the affections of the woman that they have in their cross-hairs. Once the chase is over and the intended goal has been achieved.... men eventually return back to their old habits that could scare a woman into running for the hills and never looking back, but sometimes don't. Those beer-guzzling, frat boys that demand the control of the remote that call their woman over to grab them another beer while digging their hand down the waist of their pants (picture Al Bundy from Married with Children). I just wonder if it is at all possible to have that perfect combination of love, lust and romance. I always believed that when two are in love.... that is the ultimate feeling to have. I can tell you this.... It is not. There needs to be lust, jealousy, insecurity, generosity, and romance. When there is a shortage.... women will become attached to books like Fifty Shades of Grey. That need of reassurance that there is a man of their dreams out there that offers constant compliments, to be the jealous protector, the generous one that offers because he wants to and not because he is asked to, and there is a need for his confidence level to be just low enough to cherish what he has. If we do not get it in real life, we will become attached to the notion in romance novels. Men are not mercurial and they are creatures of habit. Well, maybe a little mercurial, but it is well contained.
I did happen to mention that the most gripping part of the books happens at the very end. All three books were written in the perception of the female character, but after the ending happens.... there is a small section that offers the perception of the male character and how he starts to realize that what he thought was just infatuation on the surface was something completely different and alien to him. Christian Grey never loved a woman before and his first experience came with an internal struggle of what he thought he was looking for and what he realizes is what he needed. That tidbit alone (and it was only 2 little chapters) is what grabs the reader to read the books again. I should know.... I read the books again and still was affected deeply. After knowing his thought process, I needed to see if she had a clue. She did not, at first, but figured it out after so many people pointed it out to her. I can only guess that is where women are so intrigued to know men better through talk because... let's face it people.... Men are not talkers when it comes to feelings. Especially romantically influenced ones.
While it is nice to believe that there is a Christian Grey out there for every woman.... I think I need to get back to the reality of getting less.
No comments:
Post a Comment