Thursday, March 31, 2011

Binge and Purge....

Okay, if you think that this is about an eating disorder... think again.  This is about Spring Cleaning and what I really think about it......

Ever notice that every Spring, we get a renewed sense of energy clean your house.... I mean REALLY clean your house?

Somehow, we manage to have things that seem to multiply over the winter months, or so we think.  Basically, we tend to overlook Christmas and all the things we manage to purchase as gifts to one another... and the stuff we manage to buy ourselves as the need arises during the holiday season.  I'll admit it... I hate shopping, but if I have to go to the store, I manage to leave with more than what was on the list... especially when it comes to non-food items.  If it is on sale, I seem to be inclined to join the bandwagon and buy.  Especially when it comes to those special "buy one, get one free" deals.  Chances are, I really only need one thing, but getting something free is a definite draw to purchasing in excess.  I believe I have enough shower gel to last me a year since the store Bath and Body Works offers such great deals whenever I go in there.  Same thing goes for haircare products.  Being a hairdresser, I have access to deals-a-plenty from vendors whenever I pick up a few things I need for work.  T-shirts, socks, and the such seem to have multiplied also.  Now, I know that these are things we need, but somehow, we tend to be forgetful about getting rid of something when we get something new.  Old, and worn out socks need to be tossed, old t-shirts, jeans, and sweaters really do not need to keep residence once you lose count of what you have.  Having a child makes things just as difficult when they get too old for certain toys and outgrow their clothes, but seem to have an attachment to them.  As for books.... well, I think I should just utilize the library that much more since I have enough books to fill a wing of the library that I have read and do not intend to read again.

I just find it so interesting that in the time of an economic crisis, we still have too much stuff.  Being on a strict budget for almost 2 years, we still manage to have things to donate.  I will admit that there is still stuff that I know we will never use again in my home, but cannot seem to part with it.  Call it sentimental value, but knowing that I am not planning on having another child should be the deciding factor to finally part with DD's baby stuff (ya know... crib, diaper bags, bottles and such).  I even have things that I not even seen in years popping up in my Spring Cleaning adventure that I still feel compelled to keep.  I fear that I have the capability of becoming a closet hoarder since my house may look clean on site, but open a closet and.... BAM!  my secret is exposed.  Oh, I have excuses for keeping 4 winter coats even though I am one person, and I probably have the same number of excuses why I have 4 pairs of gym shoes, 5 pairs of sandals, 5 pairs of boots and 2 pairs of slippers when I have only two feet.

Realizing that we live in a binge and purge society with tendencies of being a bit sentimental about it all, I am thankful that there is Spring Cleaning to put us in check and control the hidden hoarder in every one of us.  I just hate trying to decide the fate of something when I spent money to purchase it.  What makes it even harder is to purge things that were given as a gift.  The whole thought process behind buying for another really makes the sentimental factor something into an undeniable force to reckon with.

Day one of Spring Cleaning was yesterday and I know I have not even made a real dent in it, but today is day number two.  Believe me, this is getting harder and harder to accomplish.  Especially, when DH has not purged ever and his stuff is actually hiding some of my stuff that I have not seen in years.  He still has stuff in the gift boxes, stacked in the closet.  I just don't know how to get him in the purging spirit so that this spring, I can actually do a thorough spring clean purge and get it over with.....  I can't make him do it, I can only hope he gets the clue and gets the desire to do a little purging, too......

Doubtful.....

Oh well, maybe next spring, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment