Every year, I volunteer myself to DD's Tae-kwon-do (aka TKD) school for their annual Samurang games. Basically, it is a competition for the students of various schools that decide to join the competition. Scoring is based on each participant's abilities. There are various areas to compete in: TKD forms (a set of various movements that consist of blocks, punches and kicks to showcase their abilities to memorize movements and to perform them with strength and confidence), Gumdo forms (same as TKD forms, except this is done with a sword), Sparring (for both TKD and Gumdo classes), and for fun... Carnival events of various aspects of the art of both Gumdo and TKD such as kicking, breaking boards, cutting, etc. It is quite a fast paced set of events with students that range from beginner all the way to advanced. I actually enjoy the sport and if I had the money, I would take classes. But alas, we only have enough money to send DD there, so I vicariously live and learn through her.
So, this Saturday, I will be at the games again. Volunteering myself to set up/tear down and help wherever they need it. I already took the day off from work and I am psyched! DD is participating again this year and is competing in TKD forms and is going to do a few carnival events. DH will be there to watch and maybe take some pictures for me since I will be busy doing things all day there. I get to find out how DD ranks in her TKD form after the fact. Probably a good thing I am too busy to watch because she has been a little lazy lately and is now feverishly practicing every night so she might be able to surpass getting the score of silver. She is aiming for getting gold this year. I hope she can, but I am just not sure. I know she can do it, but she tends to get nervous when it is just her in front of hundreds of people and the judges. If I was to watch, too, I think she would wimp out and not even try. You see, I am her toughest critic because I can see the potential in her. Well, that and if I was one of the judges, I would be the toughest judge to 'wow' to get a good score. Putting in what is going to be my 4th year of this, I think I just might be qualified to be a judge, but I would prefer to leave that to the instructors that know this stuff forwards and backwards. I just only know the forwards aspect of it all. This is the last year she will participate as a color belt and will be a black belt once next year comes along.
Besides being helpful at a sporting event that I have interest in, I get the pleasure to work with some pretty amazing people. I have met and joked with instructors of various schools and I have had some nice conversations with the director of the national TKD federation. He is from Korea and has a really thick accent, but is really a funny guy once you get to know him. The only thing I hope does not happen is being required to sing the National Anthem. I have done it for the past few years because the Headmaster of the school DD goes to that is in charge of the event seems to forget his recording of the National Anthem. I might sing Karaoke fine, but singing the National Anthem with everyone watching me and not singing along is a little nerve-racking. It is a complete different experience singing in front of people without a beer to loosen up my vocal chords and a ton of background noise of a bar to calm me. I can at least say with pride that I know I will not mess up the words like Christina Aguilera did for the Superbowl.
I just find it interesting that I have a lot of fun volunteering for this each year. I am not sure how many more years I will be volunteering for this, but I know I will be happy to do this again and again as long as I can.
No comments:
Post a Comment