Well, my weekend was filled with continuing education that is required by the state for my Cosmetologist (aka beautician's) license. Never one to really complain about learning new things, I paid for my ticket and went. Now, don't get me wrong, I understand that in a creative industry like I am in, there is always room for learning newer and more efficient techniques, but being in this business as long as I have... well, I think I have managed to see it all. This year was to be different. I decided to take a few classes that are supposed to help you become a money making machine, so to speak. Basically, it is business classes for the service industry. In fact, the major draw to go to these classes was because one of my favorite educators was teaching the class. His name is Michael Cole. Some of his work has graced various magazines and has been seen on the red carpet. He is a really talented man in this industry and I figured if he can make it big, he just might have some ideas I never thought of in my dizziest days..... Well, I was definitely taught something from that class and I am still trying to figure how to make it work during a financial crisis like the one we all have been feeling. You see, in my line of work, getting your hair cut is the last thing on a person's list these days. Money and time are the reasons people are getting their hair cut less and less often. I don't work at the cheapest shop, but I am not at the most expensive either, so the competition is tough these days.
Most of the things he mentioned were those "ah ha" moments of where I just might be faltering, but there are some areas that just don't make sense to me. The major one was "work smarter, not harder". Hmmm... "old dog" believes in hard work, "new trick" states to work smarter (aka sell your backside off with services and products that they did not think they wanted), "old dog" sees people struggling, "new trick" states that people really have the money to spend no matter how much they say they don't, "old dog" offers discounts and free add ons, and "new trick" says to always charge full price. "Old dog" knows that people will go elsewhere for their haircut if it is cheaper, and somehow "new trick" thinks it is just fine that you lose some clients because of it. Hmmm... in the "commission" world I work in, if there is no client... there is no work... there is no earnings. Now, I agree that there comes a time when a person needs to stop giving things away and actually charge them full price, but how can a person believe that people will come back if your prices are no longer budget friendly to them? Is the right time, now or when the economy finally is back on the rise and that unemployment level is low? I am not sure that I can take that risk just yet.
Now, not to sound cynical.... well, maybe a little (wink, wink)... It appears that this mentor that I have held in high regard has changed his views over the years. For when I asked about my concerns with how the economy has affected the volume of work presented, his reply was completely "text book", unfeeling and sent me on my way, which somehow that was just wrong to me. It appears that my mentor has lost his compassion for others, in fact, he has not shared any of his skills when it comes to his stylist abilities or even any proof that his theory works. It appears that in order to become successful during a financial crisis, you need to write a book about how to become successful; to have a plan and make it completely attainable for the low, low price of $85 if you order today because I gather that is working just well for him. Hmmm... I gather he never really thought beyond the old saying of, "in order to make money, you need to spend money", because if I had the money to spend, I just might have considered buying his book. Then maybe I would understand his thought process better. Since I do not have the available cash to toss to an overpriced book, I think I will just go to the library, find something similar, read it, and "tweak" it to making it more applicable to my line of work. Potential savings... $85.... Proof of my theory that people are willing to seek other alternatives... Obvious. Sadly, he won't see that. Maybe he doesn't because turning your back on the ones that stick by you is a good thing in his book..... Or so he says...
Have a great day everyone :)
Come and see how THOUSAND of people like YOU are making a LIVING by staying home and are living their wildest dreams TODAY.
ReplyDeleteGET FREE ACCESS TODAY