In any long term relationship, there are areas of struggle. The one that keeps popping into my mind is when it comes to doing something a certain way, it is always scrutinized as being perpetually wrong by the other person. Here are a few examples that I have managed to drudge up from my memory banks....
There was this one time, DH had a complaint about work. Yep, if you have not figured it out in that one sentence... I went into fix-it mode and offered a suggestion and was slammed for putting my two cents where it supposedly does not belong since it is his business we were talking about. His complaint was that he felt that he was doing more work than his fellow employees and was feeling quite unappreciated about it. You see, I had an idea that would make it proven the levels of work accomplished per employee by seeking out a computer program that would track every employees accomplishments. Knowing that this was a great and helpful idea, I was slammed for even mentioning this idea. Apparently, he thought I was clueless about how a business is to be run and never even thought twice about my idea. Knowing it is better to leave things well enough alone, I dropped pursuing the idea further. Well, a few months later, DH comes home with wonderful news.... His business partner just found a.... Yep, gonna say it... computer program that will track all the employee accomplishments.... AND that it was the greatest idea ever!! WOW, is all I could say as I was biting my tongue... remembering how my idea that I mentioned months earlier was so stupid, he would never even consider it.
Here is another one that is a bit different, but the idea is the same.....
Just a couple of years ago, the economy was showing struggle... in fact, it was plummeting. Businesses were doing major layoffs, some businesses ended up closing their doors in a matter of months. Things were tough. Our esteemed President Obama had a wonderful idea that was not thought out really well when he implemented it... Cash for clunkers. Oh, trade in your broken down car for a tax credit on a new one. Hmmm... DH owns a garage that works really hard fixing those clunkers and now if there is a major rise in auto sales, there is no need for repairs on brand new cars is there... Well, business was painfully slow, there were some times that they could not afford to pay everyone's salary so DH being a partner in this garage would willingly not take a paycheck in order to keep is employees. Well, not telling your wife this makes it really hard to pay the bills if there is no money coming in. As frustrated as I was about this, I buckled down and budgeted everything as best as I could. When our savings was dwindled down to almost nothing because we needed to pay the mortgage, I decided to have a little talk with DH. I was accused of being a wasteful spender and that I have no clue how to budget. My response... I handed him the checkbook and the bills and let him take over. Next thing I know is that DH had a little talk with his business partner and was able to get his back pay from the stockpile that his partner was making to create a buffer when it came to business being slow. DH did not believe me when it came to what I buy in groceries as being the lowest price out there, so I now drag the family every week for our weekly grocery shopping. Knowing that I have proven my point, I still have not gotten one ounce of kudos for a job well done. Why is that?
Why do people have a tendency to never admit that they are wrong? Why do people refuse to take into consideration an idea and actually look into it as a serious gesture that they appreciate your input? Why is it that when an effort is made, a sacrifice is made for the greater good, or even an idea that was never considered actually being utilized because of another, is never appreciated? Do some people actually believe that they are always right? That they are the only one to solve a problem? That they are the only one making the sacrifice? Or is it that there is a serious lack of respect going on here? I never said that I am the brightest person alive, but I do have moments of absolute genius scattered about. I guess I will never really know.....
No comments:
Post a Comment