YAWN! There is a con to every pro. When the weather is nice, people opt for a motorcycle over a car as their mode of transportation. My husband is no different than the rest that have a motorcycle at the ready. Well, for the past couple of summers.... DH preferred to drive his classic 1979 VW Beetle. It is black, a convertible, and is in pristine condition. While I believe that he loves that darn car more than me, it is a pretty nifty mode of transportation. I don't drive it because it is a manual transmission and I have been less than talented to deal with a clutch and shifter while driving. Heck, I am darn lucky that I can walk and chew gum at the same time without bodily injury. Well, DH, being the primo mechanic and all, noticed that his clutch is starting to wear down and left his car at the garage to fix it. I find it funny that when there is a strange sound or potential breakdown in the near future.... he is prepared to fix it before it becomes an issue, but when it comes to my truck.... That sucker needs to be towed in to be looked at. I still have a lens to a fog lamp sitting in my truck to be reattached as well as a head cover gasket sitting at the garage that needs to be put in my truck so it can stop "running lean" as I was told over a month ago. Yep, I still get the "check engine" light popping on at random times as well as having it run so rough that I fear my truck will die on the road. I was assured that my truck issues are not serious.... yet, and I can still drive it for a while. Just still waiting for DH to either fix my truck or I will tow the darn thing in when it does die. I know he would get totally bent if I took my truck to my other friend that works at a garage down the street from his shop, so if he wants to pay for the tow truck.... he can deal with it.... not me. I stopped the supposed nagging to get my truck fixed and strapped on my I don't give a furry rat's behind attitude.
Well, long story short is what I am striving for and failing miserably at, so here goes.....
DH's VW needs work, so he came home with his motorcycle from work last night. It is a 1985 Harley-Davidson Low Rider, red, shiny, and VERY LOUD. Apparently, the stock pipes are not acceptable to DH and wanted to make this thing so loud that the walls shake in my house when he approaches. He changed out the pipes immediately after purchasing it. It is a very distinctive sound and I heard him coming from 4 blocks away and knew that my morning would be less than peaceful. I had 2 summers of a quiet departure from DH when he leaves for work.... Not anymore, that is, until he fixes his VW.
While I actually love his motorcycle, I am saddened that it has not been ridden all that much over the past few years. I think I know why and it tells me that he is no longer the reckless adventurer that he once was when I first met him. Yep, DH was a "bad boy" wrapped in a comedian. He always knew how to make me laugh. When we were dating, he was generous, courteous, and so darn funny. I could not recall a moment when he made me mad or a moment where my feelings were hurt. Sad, how things change after you get married. Especially when the things you did not want to change happen to be the first things to change. Well, before I go on another tangent.... DH used to take me for rides on the motorcycle. I happen to be a "professional passenger" of sorts. I know when to lean and when to kick back on the pegs to avoid crushing him into the gas tank. In fact, I was told that I was such a good passenger, that people thought I was not on the back of their bike. I enjoyed the wind in my face and the freedom that the motorcycle offered while going down the road. I knew it was going to be a matter of time that DD would have the same fascination. Her daddy would put her in a helmet and take her for a ride. He shared with her a special grip to hold on while she was taken on her ride and everything. Every time DH would take the motorcycle, DD would run outside with her helmet in hand, ready for her ride. DH stopped taking me for a ride and it hurt a little, but the bond between father and daughter was heartwarming enough to mask the pain from missing the wind in my face and the freedom that ride with DH offered. Well, on one ride (which I call the last ride), DH had DD on the motorcycle and a person in a car was not paying attention pushed DH off the road with DD on the back. DH is a very cautious rider and avoided a serious accident and that little reality check that people in cars rarely ever pay attention to the motorcycles on the road.... DH put his motorcycle away and did not pull it out since. Well, until last night when he left his VW at work.
As this morning, I woke up to my walls shaking and hearing the rumble of a motorcycle that I adored speeding off down the road, I actually let out a sigh and greeted the new day with memories of a happier time. Only if DH could remember those happier times and act upon them. Sadly, I know he won't. No offer of a ride was given last night and there was no indication that this is going to be a repeat performance of the happier times. Oh well, at least DD did not run outside with her helmet. Maybe my frustration that DH seems so immature at times has finally changed. He refuses to take chances with his family on that motorcycle anymore and that is the ultimate sign that he does care. It is not as obvious because it was not seen until last night, but there is a sign that he does care nonetheless. Sadly, it is the one thing that we did enjoy and it is gone.
No comments:
Post a Comment