Books, oh books are the greatest escape for this suburban wife and mother. Getting the nickname of Bookworm really does not bother me all that much. The comment of having four-eyes from my new glasses tossed my way is completely harmless. I chuckle at how DH and DD can't find anything good to watch on TV these days. In fact, I barely ever hear a peep out of them. My selective hearing is in top form and when I let my imagination run from what I read in whatever way it decides to go.... I just can't seem to have any complaints these days.
Earlier this week, we had a few little annoyances, but since I handle just about everything.... they were resolved rather quickly. I did manage to notice that there are some things that DH needs to do for himself, and even left it alone for him to finally get to it.
While I was slightly miffed at the notion that I have been reading mysteries that have romance intertwined in them, I even grabbed a book or two of just strictly romance. I realized my reason for gravitating towards that genre.... It is a far easier replacement to trying to get it in my life. DH is not romantic, there are no secret admirers out there seeking me out, and I am sure as heck not going to go look for romance from another. I have friends that harmlessly flirt with me and that is good enough for me. Really, who needs a hero these days? I am too self-sufficient to really need that much help in my life. I know how to change a tire, I remember how to change oil in a car (my truck cannot be all that different, right?), I am perfectly capable of setting the clock on my VCR/DVD player, I know the difference between a Phillips-head screwdriver and a flat-head screwdriver. I am pretty handy with tools, I know how to run the generator, the lawn mower, the snow blower, the leaf blower, and the weed whacker. I take out the garbage every week and I even have watched enough DIY television that I could probably fix a leaky faucet or replace a faulty outlet. I know what a fuse is and just recently.... I learned how to replace the propane tank on the grill. I cook and clean and I definitely know how to balance a checkbook. I do not get credit for any of my accomplishments, but I am pretty pleased with what I can do all by myself. With all this knowledge under my belt.... it makes me wonder what good it is to have a man in my life.... Oh.... there is something, but I heard that they have toys to handle that (giggle...giggle... giggle). Okay, not to sound mean.... but in the grand scheme of things.... if I get to learn much more without the tutelage of DH.... I will start to believe that I would be happier without him in my life. I married him because I love him and wanted to have a partner in my life that experiences things with me instead of without me. I wonder if it was his plan all along to have a strong woman in his life to do everything and return to his childhood ways of thinking only about himself. It probably was, but who am I to judge? I thought marriage would have been far different than what I ended up with, but I am adapting quite well with the less that I have been offered.
I think I figured where my recent fascination of romance novels is from. I need something that grounds me to believe that men can be just as vulnerable as women. That there is a woman for every man that makes them feel the need to be the hero, to be the loving shoulder to cry upon, to be the one that is willing to alter their ways just enough to be guaranteed to have that person in their life. Heck, women do that all the time, but do not get credit for it. We are left to believe that we are the weaker ones. At least in these romance novels that I have been reading..... These clueless women stumble through life with their tenacity in tact to be strong enough for the men to think that they are not worthy, but are willing to try harder for the sake of love. Just the thought at how these women writers believe that men react to this alien feeling that is called love is nothing more than lust with potential for growth. I just believe that I am worthy of having someone in my life that thinks I need to be saved, but with my vast knowledge..... That is just not gonna happen and I am okay with that now.
What makes reading so enjoyable is how I can escape the life I have and grasp feelings from something that someone else writes. Reruns are really not an option. Well, when it comes to romance novels.... the premise is predictable, but at least the names, the places, and some of the comments are different. Even the dilemmas are a bit different. What I do find interesting is how the books play out. The woman is actually more a hero than the men. When it comes to something that requires physical strength... the man usually comes through. Heck, when it comes to an overly tightened lug nut on a tire... I would ask for a strong fellow to give me a hand. It is not like I can bench-press with the best of them, but I will need a strong arm to help me from time to time. Unless, that is, I really get serious about the gym and I doubt that will happen. I have seen some of those body-building women and I was almost mistaken that it was a man with the bulges they are able to produce. Last week, I saw one at the local 7-11 and said "excuse me, sir", to quickly be corrected when she turned around to look at me.... YIKES! She had veins popping out where I thought women did not have veins. Not all that attractive, but she probably could have lifted a bus with the guns she had on her. Nonetheless..... I think I am going to finish this one book, head off to the library again and get a few more.
No comments:
Post a Comment