Friday, December 23, 2011

Mom....

Growing up, every child goes through stages...  It starts off with extreme admiration of the caregiver that gave birth to you and reminds you that their name is "mom" or "mama" as you try to learn your first words.  Sadly, "dada" is the easiest and usually the first word spoken, but their love for you is too strong to let something like that decrease the unconditional love they have for you.  They are the ones first called when you are hurt to fix it and "kiss the boo-boo", they are the best cooks on the planet in your eyes, and the first person you go to when you have questions.  As we get older, somehow our moms become tougher; expectations that we tend to disagree upon cause arguments over who knows best and we tend to think that they are just on another planet compared to where we are...  They wiped our tushes, our noses, cleaned up after us, fed us and then they cut us off from the easy life and shove us into the reality of becoming responsible people....  Oh, the agony!  In our teens, and well into our early adulthood (which I have figured is somewhere in our mid 30's), we tend to think that mom is completely out of touch with current events and have zero understanding of what life is really like.  Of course, most of those bickering sessions ended with "when you have children of your own, I hope they turn out to be just like you and then you will understand"....  awful curse, but it will come true...

By the time we become parents, we suddenly realize that Mom was right and there is a new found appreciation for her and her lifelong career of being our mom.  They become the go-to person when we have questions on handling our own children.  Mom becomes the relief team when dealing with children of our own and handle it like a professional.  Their knowledge with experiencing the likes of us have them so well prepared that their grandchildren have better respect for them than you ever did at their age.  Of course, they enjoy their grandchildren because they do not have to live with them after all the sugary treats, hugs and fun they have as they get to go to their quiet homes at the end of the day.  But their knowledge is far more appreciated because we tend to remember those little talks and over protective behavior they possessed and how when we thought that they were so out of touch... they were not.

Now, I know that there are people out there that have suffered the misfortune of never getting to a point in life where you are blessed to have your parents involved.  I can only hope that they managed to reach some level of their new found respect for them before the pain of loss happens, because as we all know....  nobody can live forever.  As for me, I have been fortunate enough to have my mom in my life to this day and got to experience the incredible knowledge that had to be repeated upon me to realize that I was the clueless one back in the day.  Sadly, my blessing only has been with still having my mom here to turn to...  My father passed away a little over 10 years ago, right when our relationship was building to an even higher point.  My dad was my best friend, but he was someone I would have loved to get to learn more from.  My educational journey of understanding what a father's love when they become a grandfather was, was cut way too short and I miss him terribly... so does my mom.  I do take comfort in knowing that he is alive in my heart and that we are being watched from heaven.  Still hurts that he is not physically here, but he would not allow for anyone to stop living because he is not here.  He left a major impression in everyone he loved... even my daughter.  He passed when she was only 18 months old, but she even remembers him to this day.  I remember her asking if grandpa was still taking pictures of her while he is up in heaven.  She was 3 at the time.  Now, that should tell you that if they can be remembered... they are never really gone.

As I try to bring this blog to a close for the day.... I wanted to mention that there are times I realize that I have become my mom and I am actually thankful for that.  Her no nonsense way of speaking her mind puts things in perspective for me.  Humble as she may be, she is more helpful than she could ever think she has been and I appreciate it.  She taught me the stages and now I understand...  Thank you, Mom.

Oh, by the way....  When you think your mom does not listen when you talk about your spouse... she does.  She actually helped me remember that for the past 4 years or so, DH has been eyeing up a nostalgic themed popcorn maker, but stopped talking about it a couple of years back.  She was the one that helped me find something that can bring a child-like sparkle in DH's eyes this Christmas... that popcorn maker.  Nice feeling to have when your mom has your back even after the Hell I put her through growing up...

Have a great day everyone and remember.... You only have one Mom and Dad.  Here or not... remember them and be sure to say thanks from time to time...

No comments:

Post a Comment