Monday, May 14, 2012

The Einstein theory....

Everyone figures things on the surface is what it is....  Just a few kind words can change all of that.

After Saturday's event at the salon, I noticed that my boss' car had a flat.  With no able man to help, I called DH with determination to either get his help or change her tire myself.  At first, he was reluctant, but came to his senses quite quickly and came over to help.  Funny thing....  Well, not so funny.  After DH appeared as my knight in shining armor, he wakes up Sunday to a flat tire on his truck.  Definitely made him comment that his unselfish act had a price.  Luckily, today is another nice day and he took his VW to work (full tires and all).  Just another thing on his list to fix when he can.  Yep, his "honey-do list" is getting longer and longer.

Yesterday, being Mother's Day, felt like any other ordinary day to me.  Waking up after a long night of reading produced a small headache.  While I become aware that eventually I will have to really make that eye doctor appointment and bite the bullet that I will need glasses for reading (the headache is a definite sign that I have to go really soon...  well, that and the fact that I seem to require to hold my Kindle a little farther so the words don't get all fuzzy), I seem to be doing just fine.  After making breakfast for the family (DH did the dishes), I grabbed my Kindle and continued reading book #2 of the shades of Grey series.  As I giggle at the notion that this book, as edgy as it appears to me, is a romance novel and I usually never gravitate towards romantic stuff. Books like those give false hope in my eyes and sure as heck does not make my reality any more appealing.  Apparently, being hooked into these books makes me less than ambitious to get anything done in what is lovingly called, "my world".  I lack multitasking skills when I an drawn into a good read.  Struggling to get the grocery list done, I turn off my Kindle to get the family rounded up for our Sunday ritual of togetherness while grocery shopping.  With my head clogged up with what is going to happen next in my book, I appreciate that I have DD and DH to keep my head in check while we are in the grocery store.

After returning home and putting away the groceries (which seems to always be my job), I grab my Kindle again to enjoy a little reading before heading off to work again.  I agreed to do the touch up for a coworker and Sunday was the only day we both had available.  With the shop being closed for Mother's Day, and all, I borrowed the key from another coworker so this task can be done.  Feeling uncomfortable having the salon key, I decided to wait in the parking lot for my coworker to arrive.  Kindle in hand....  I read a little more.  DARN!  Perfect day of reading and it is interrupted by my generous nature.  Oh well.  My coworker arrives and we head inside together and get started.

The salon is quiet.  Almost unnerving to me.  I am used to the hustle and bustle of a busy salon.  My coworker and I start talking.  Just usual stuff.  I get an update of my other coworker and her battle with cancer.  She opted for the surgery.  A lot was removed from her and there was a lot of rerouting stuff.  She lost not only her gall bladder, she lost part of her stomach, her colon, and her liver, but according to the surgeons.... she is cancer free and will need a very long time to recover.  Baffles the mind what was done, but I am glad that she is on the mend.  Our event this past weekend raised roughly $800 towards her bills.  It is not much, but it is more than nothing.  Our conversation moved forward to how things have been.  The dynamic of the salon has changed over the past year.  People are coming and going, but there is still a fair number that has weathered the storm.  While my boss frantically tries to change things for the better, she just can't make everyone happy.  This is where the unexpected compliment comes in....  I was told by my coworker that people have been commenting that how the mood and the atmosphere lightens when I come in.  I never realized that I can make a difference like that.  Something as simple as a smile can create a chain reaction of ease among a group of people that feel stressed.  Little do they know....  It takes a lot of effort on my part to separate home life from work.  I strive to control every aspect of my life for the greater good of society.  My random flossing keeps my head on straight, my constant thinking things over (over analyzing, if you must call it) is my way to see the awe that life has to offer.  Good or bad, there is reaction to every action taken.  Einstein had it right....  While there are forces that can pull an object towards something, there is opportunity to change the course and create a different result.  We have the power to make a difference even when we feel we are not.

Right now, reading has been my undeniable force that has not exactly been challenged.  While I can easily set aside a little time to read and still get all my usual stuff done, I feel the pull to read and let everything around me wait.  Reading is an escape, but life continues to happen if you participate or not.  It is just a matter of balance when we can achieve all that we set our minds to.  So... with that said....  I have stuff to do and I am not sure how long it will wait for me.  While being so close to the end of book #2 of the shades of Grey series...  I think I will do some things that do not require my full attention and fit in some more reading. Chances are.... I will end up starting book #3 today and wear out the battery on my Kindle sometime around midnight again.  Then I have to put that thing away for a while.  I doubt that e-readers last forever ;)

Thanks for reading and have a great day everyone!!

No comments:

Post a Comment