Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Glutton for punishment...

As per the suggestion from my best friend...  I re-read the trilogy known as, "the shades of Grey".  Why, do you ask?  Simply put....  The darn books had me thinking and I just could not seem to get past the idea that they had such a profound affect on me.  I admit that the raunchy parts felt a little unsettling, to say the least, but the romantic undertones is what took a strong hold in my head.  Out of the 3 books, I have to say that the second book is where I became hooked.  By the third book, I felt that I needed yet another intervention.  I realized I was impacted beyond comprehension....  Well, the very, very end is what took the strongest hold.  As I know that this is going to be a "spoiler" of sorts, it was those few little chapters that showcased Christian Grey's perspective.  Yes, all 3 books were written in the girl's point of view.  While I still have issues at how a young woman never having sexual relations manages to become insatiable after her "first time" still baffles me.  Well, that and how she knows that she comes apart at the seams every time.  As I am fully aware that this is just a story, I did feel compelled to compare the story to my life.  That managed to really depress me.  I was never really "swept off my feet", so to speak, like she was.  While I know that I have been infatuated quite a few times and even wooed, I just never had the "whole package", as the story portrays.  I do agree that love does not have a price tag and her reluctance to embrace the lavish lifestyle bestowed upon her seems completely plausible, at least in my eyes.  No, what really grabbed my attention and stuck in my head was his point of view shared at the very end of the book.  It was what he was thinking that grabbed my psyche.  After stating that, I know that my intentions to re-read these books was to further make myself immune to it's profound grasp.

The first time I read these books, I was in awe.... Well, shock and awe.  I never gravitate towards stuff that gives off false hope.  I already had the inkling that I should have stopped before even looking at the sample from my Kindle, but apparently I was being a glutton for punishment and downloaded the first book.  Figuring I could easily skip the second book and get the closure from the third, but the way the story was told, I knew that I was going to miss some serious details to the story line and downloaded the second book.  The second book grabbed my attention to where I read the third book in no time flat.  Once I finished, I just could not get over how much the very last part impacted me.  "Wow", was all I could think.

As I tried to get suggestions for something else to read that had zero romantic indications and failed miserably.  It was by suggestion that I re-read the books, but keep a more level head over what was read.  The shock and awe of reading what I felt uncomfortable to read at first became something that seduced me to get hooked.  Now, with the second round complete (yes, I finished this morning), I realized that I had a different view... a more annoyed view.  Probably because it appeared that there was far too much problem solving through sex.  The insecurity of both characters actually became a little bothersome.  While endearing that they were vulnerable, it really bothered me that they continued to frustrate the living daylights out of each other.  It started to feel like it was more a game than anything else.  Also, the drama that happened to unfurl around them was a little much.  The crying, the mention of puzzled thoughts over reactions, and the instant gratification started to get really old, really fast, when I read these books the second time....  My friend was right.... Reading this the second time finally released me from its grasp.  I feel like I can finally be freed from the romantic sense of false hope these books, in the most unconventional way, has offered me.  Will I read another romance novel?  I am not planning on it.  Am I more sensitive to romantic undertones?  Maybe a little.  Do I secretly wish that my life offered a little more "spice" like these romance novels?  Sure... who wouldn't.

On another note....  Saturday night's farewell gathering for my best friend (who obviously knew me well enough to get me to become immune to romance novels by re-reading them) went well.  I had a moment, or two, that impacted me.  One moment had me feel a little uncomfortable.  The person running the karaoke show was a person I chose to forget about from a long story that I may tell about at another time managed to just floor me.  Apparently, I was memorable because he remembered my name and for the life of me... I could not remember his.  Odd, I know....  I never saw myself as memorable in any sense of the word.  Especially someone I never really got to know in the first place.  Well, apparently I do.  There have been a few instances where people seem to remember who I am, but I never can seem to remember who they are.  Maybe tomorrow I will share those stories.  Some are quite funny in my mind....  Well, off to get some stuff done in the house.  I am still behind in my usual chores....

Have a great day everyone!!  Thanks for reading :)

No comments:

Post a Comment