Friends come in all shapes and sizes, but it those select few that remain true to who they are that touch our soul. With advances in communication, people from all over the world can keep in touch through social medias. In fact, what we thought was a small circle of people we call "friend" somehow grows to a dizzying rate when the barriers are broken down when social media comes and makes its appearance center stage.
Really, has it crossed anyone's mind that through social media, like Facebook, your friend base suddenly gets bigger than you ever thought? And not all of them are really your friends. They are acquaintances. Tell me this..... How many of your Facebook friends would "have your back" no matter what? How many of those people that you have as friends really care what you think, have a remotely care in the world how you are really feeling, or even take the time to actually offer an honest feeling without masking it in sarcasm, humor or distain? Not many, I can tell you that. What we do have in life is a very small number of people that we can really count on. I happen to know that all too well. In fact, I learned how small my list is of the true friends I have.
People have two sides to them when it comes to social media. The image they want you to see and the true self that they are. Some have mastered being a friend to all, but manage to do something that is not so friendly away from the prying eyes of society that share the same social media outlet. Some stay true to who they are. Others may pose to be the opposite by showcasing a crude or crass persona on a social media, but are quite kind when away from flaunting their "puffery" for the world to see. I just do not understand why a person needs to be different than who they really are. Is it a defense mechanism? Or is it a cry for attention? Nobody will ever know because the truth always stays hidden for the world to see. I guess that is why that old saying... "never judge a book by its cover" is so true. Nobody truly gets to know you when all you flaunt is the cover and never let anyone open the book and get to know its contents.
Late last night... I got a text from a friend. Everyone was in bed, except for me. I was taking some time to relax with a book and enjoy the comfort of knowing that my family is safe at home. In all honesty, I think I appreciate my family more when they are peacefully resting.... less bantering going on. After reading the text from my friend, I knew they needed someone to talk to. While sending texts back and forth is far quieter than talking, we knew that there is not enough time to wait for the text to arrive, reply, and send back to carry a conversation. Taking my cell phone down to the lowest level of my home, I called my friend to talk. I find it funny at how a simple conversation regarding one thing can morph into a fully blown chat session. I really did not mind that I was on the phone that late or for that long. My friend needed me. While we talked about various things, I became quite humbled at how my friend points out that I happen to have a very full life with a lot of true friends.... you know.... the ones that have your back. That will stand up for you when you are not there to stand up for yourself. In all honesty, I only have a handful of friends like that. It is not much, but in the grand scheme of it all.... Isn't that all we really need? That friend that we can rely upon for an honest opinion (even if the truth hurts), that friend that does not care what time it is to talk because you know that they need someone to talk to, that friend that could read between the lines of a Facebook status and know better, that friend that you know who would be in the front row of your funeral with honest tears in their eyes.... The list is endless, but you get what I am saying, right? The truest of friend keeps your secrets and respects who you are. A friend that can pick you up when you feel down and not care how silly they need to be in order to make you feel better. The love between friends is pretty darn close to the love a child has for their parents. It is unconditional because no matter how life throws those curve balls that could possibly derail a friendship, you work to keep it on track. Friends will fight, but they always find a solution in the end that continues to keep the bond strong. I believe that is something we all possess... a strong will to be a good friend. Sadly, there will be some that are not and they choose to be that way. Their only true friend is the one they see in the mirror. I just have a hard time fathoming that being a happy or fulfilling life.
In our long conversation, I was forewarned again that my nice nature is not always appreciated. I was informed that something was said about me from a person I thought was my friend that was not nice at all. Stunned at what was said, I felt sick over it, but my friend assured me that they had my back and stood up for me. At first, I was not sure if I could believe that happened, but this friend that stood up for me had no reason to lie. In fact, they have never lied to me and I know that is the truth. It was their reaction when it happened that had me realize that even more that they are one of those friends that has my back... no matter what. Humbled from the knowledge and appreciative for what they have done is what is left from that conversation. What hurts the most is that I probably will remain the same person because of this.... I still cannot build the wall to be someone that I am not to protect myself from incidences like that from happening ever again. I am who I am... What you see is the truth. Getting hurt is part of life. I am just really good at taking the punches that get thrown at me, but when those punches are done behind my back and I am told about them..... well, that just hurts because I always believed there is good in everyone I know. I am just so thankful that I have a friend that was in my corner when it happened.
Thank you, friend. You know who you are :)
No comments:
Post a Comment