Sunday, April 3, 2011

Perceptions, impressions, expectations, and twisted words...

Oh, to live a drama free life!!  I wish it was that easy....  Just a little annoyance from yesterday that has managed to affect me all day today....  Why would I let something as bothersome as a rumor affect my sunny disposition, you ask?  Well, as simple as it may seem on the surface, it seems to have some pretty deep roots that have managed to tangle into other annoyances that I just managed to push aside for far too long.  Somehow, that grain of sand has managed to become a mountain too tall to climb over, but I figured that I could at least try to chisel it down to a smaller and more manageable size by blogging my thought process about it.

Hmmm... Where to begin....  Okay... here goes....

Now, I understand that everyone is different.  Our thought process, our decisions, our feelings and our level of understanding is different.  We react differently when it comes to what we observe and experience.  I just wonder if people actually take the time to think about another's perspective of things.  You know...  actually think if their actions, or better yet, reactions are considered justified at all angles.

Here is the shortest version I can think of...

If a person that remains relatively reasonable when ignored or passed up for potential growth at their job gets an opportunity to actually have some work sent their way in a place filled with other people fighting to get more work gets a stab in the back...  Is it right to be a bit set off about it all?  Rumors are just that... rumors, but there seems to be a bit of a perception issue.  This rumor labeled a person as greedy.  Yep, I was called greedy for taking an appointment at work at a time when I had nothing on my book and ended up having 3 additional clients show up with no appointment that asked for me in addition to taking an appointment.  I was told by the receptionist that I could take that client since I had the least amount of work in my book, but later heard that since I took the appointment and booked it myself, I am greedy.  Apparently, since a few others had that same time open as me, I should not have been even considered.  Hmmm...  that sounds like there is an impression that I don't actually go into work every week to make a paycheck, but to just hang out and watch everyone else work.  Now, I do not expect to get every new client nor every client that is willing to go to just anyone, but it appears that there are others that have made that their God given right to have the expectations that they are entitled to have it all and nobody else and be quite vocal about it.  I just fear that expressing any feelings towards this rumor, allows me to fall victim of twisted words that were passed on through a few avenues because the person that basically was upset that I somehow became really busy for a few hours when they were not could be construed as something far worse than it really was.  Sadly, there is nothing I can do about it since I heard about it after the fact and I believe that if it was a real issue, I would have been confronted with this directly from the person who had the issue.  I could be wrong.  Maybe this person decided that their thought process was justified and that their actions, as hurtful as they were, is considered acceptable behavior if the tables were turned and found out that they were being called greedy behind their back since it is so easy to label me that.

I don't know why most issues stem from those four things...  Perception, impression, expectation, and twisting words.  Basically, it is just passing judgment before all angles of a situation or person we have been seen/met.  Yep, no matter how much we all deny it, we are judgmental creatures.  You can tell when it comes to what we choose in life...  We seek what we desire from what is on the surface; choosing of a person as a friend or foe or even a potential mate.  We size up people we come in contact with and decide if we are to be a subordinate to, an equal of, or be the dominate.  It is something you see in the wild, but you do see it in our day-to-day existence if you pay attention to it.  Maybe people tend to be oblivious to this and really do not put much effort in thinking things through to the point that if it was to happen to you, would you be accepting of it?  Think of it this way....  Getting slapped hurts more than giving the slap.... Food for thought.

2 comments:

  1. I like your blog. Great Article....Daniel

    ReplyDelete
  2. people are judgmental, that is for sure. At least you had a busy day, and the other person didn't :)

    ReplyDelete