Okay, maybe it is because I am just in the testiest frame of mind, but I and the need to get this off my chest. If you do not agree with me, that is just fine, because this little rant is necessary today.
I tend to pay attention to the news and there are just a few things that seem to rub me the wrong way these days.....
Being "politically correct" aka PC, is getting a little out of hand. I understand that people should strive to be more polite when choosing their words in order to not offend anyone. I am all for a nicer existence. It is just that being PC is really watering down things to a point that integrity is being washed away in some areas and being created in others. Two complaints come to mind....
Everyone has a problem when it comes to religion and politics. Saying or even seeing the name GOD on anything is offending people that do not believe in a higher being. This is just a ridiculous way to complain about everything if you lack the fiber to accept things as they are. History states that the grand old U S of A was founded by Christian, God fearing folks that wanted a place that did not discriminate religious beliefs. In fact, their faith in God is what gave them the strength to seek a new land. Believing in a higher power is in each and every one of us. It can be recognized by various names through the teachings of various religions. The basis is the same, only the names are different. As I am not one to judge, but isn't acceptance taught to the masses? History is just that.... history, and changing history is basically turning your back on the truth and not accepting the core of our history.
Okay, that one down. One more to go....
I am an AMERICAN! I am not a Polish-American. I was born in America. My heritage is Polish. What is it with these people that tout that they are a multi racial person? Really, if I hear that one more person says that they are a (insert your heritage)-American, I think I just might snap. America is a 'mutt' nation. There is no pure heritage to being an American other than being born here or legally obtaining citizenship. People swim, claw and climb to come here for a better living from other countries. Some may take a boat, some a plane, some sneak over the border to get here. As Lady Liberty states, "Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free.". Once you become an American, you are just that. Yep, we have our own heritage and being proud of it is every person's obligation. The hyphenating of the two is where I have a problem. I met a person not too long ago that stated that they are a Mexican-American. I felt compelled to ask where they were born and the answer I got only nails the concept that people choose to tout their heritage before the fact that they are American. This person was born in CLEVELAND, OHIO... not Mexico. I wonder how many people go to their "mother-land" and say that they are an American first in their hyphenated origin? Probably none. I just see this as another attempt to water down the true meaning of being an American.
I just wonder why people these days are so ashamed that they need to be so PC about it... We are all created equal, ya know.....
Food for thought.
Preach it kid! :)
ReplyDelete