Being someone's Valentine by today's standards is just like what Valentines Day meant when we were kids at school, exchanging those corny little business card sized cards. Being a Valentine just means... I thought of you because we are too mentally immature to actually be in love with you... I actually like that thought process. Keeps my expectations low for another day I get nothing from my husband. I hope you all realize that I am saying that with the sharpest wit I have and I am laughing as I write this.....
Really, does anyone really know why all the hype for this day?
Some say it is the one day to remind the people that you love them. Others see it as a marketing ploy to get more revenue in the stores since Christmas was the last major shopping holiday. As for me, I see it as a Hallmark holiday.... A generic ploy to create hype over what is really just another ordinary day in my book. I just figured that if you really love someone, you would say it because you can and not because of the label that today has.
Why do I seem so bitter? I really am not. I was one of those people that contained my excitement for Valentines Day with my high hopes of getting roses, candy and really mushy cards that professed the love someone has for me. I do have a romantic side of me, sadly, it has been squashed by years of getting nothing for this auspicious day of days from my other half. He just does not see V-day as an important holiday. In fact, I recall being so nervous on V-day that I even compared it to Halloween....
Does he love me? Does he not.... What a nail biter that is, huh?
I guess that is why my daughter had a good laugh this morning as I dropped her off for school. I tell her that today they are having a party in class... 'a Halloween party', of all things. DD decides to correct me and says, "Mom, it is Valentines Day... Not Halloween!" I say, "What is the difference? It can be just as scary." Well, that just sent her in a laughing frenzy. As she got out of my truck, she tells me that she needs to tell her BFF that joke.
Yep, I am here all week, and be sure to tip your wait staff ;)
I know that I need to explain to DD my off-color view of Valentines Day and what it is to represent, but seeing her laugh was good enough for me. Well, I might have planted the sarcasm bug in her ear by telling her that V-day used to be called "Single person awareness day". I wonder what she thinks about that.
As for me, I know that today is just another day. I will give a 'shout out' of love to all my friends and family. At least the thought is there, the love has been spread, that warm and fuzzy feeling of the holiday has been shared, and I participated in the wondrous event that they called Valentines Day. Now I am off to go wash my truck. I fear the layer of road salt will start to attract deer from a 5 mile radius because I think my truck has become a salt-lick on wheels. That is my V-day gift to myself.....
So, since you have taken the time to read this..... Would you be my Valentine?
lol Great blog. :) Some days we can laugh at stuff, and some days are thoughtful, and some days are saddish. I am glad you show it all. :)
ReplyDeleteI'll be your valentine, nancy! hehehe... meh, it's just a wretched, meaningless corporate "holiday", and the only ones benefitting from it are the greeting card writers...haha
ReplyDelete