Sunday, February 13, 2011

Remembering the old me......

Last night, I went out to meet up with a very dear friend that I have not seen in years.  Nope, not a childhood friend, but one I had the pleasure of getting to know during the time I was doing a little soul searching.  I seem to have a knack to be a deep thinker that happens to like beer and good music.  I have a pretty random sense of humor when I decide to set it free.  Funny thing, I seem to be more at ease with some people than others.  Well, this friend is one that can bring out the best in me even when I am at my worst.  He is just a ray of sunshine wherever he goes, he is a deep thinker like me, and even after all these years we can still talk up a storm.  This person is a rare gem that happened to get lost in the roaring tides of life.  I am so glad he managed to find me on Facebook.  We had a lot of catching up to do.

It was said to me by another dear friend that women and men cannot really be friends because men are unable to have a platonic relationship with a woman.  That is not true!  I have plenty of male friends.  Being the tomboy that I am, I seem to get along better with men as compared to women.  Don't get me wrong, I have plenty of female friends, but I just have a really hard time relating to girls all the time.  Each and every friend I have is an extension of me...  They all hold a part of the complex workings of who I am as a person.  What a wonderful thing that is!

As for seeing my dear friend last night, it just only nailed home the idea that I really have not changed all that much.  I can still be silly, I have a sense of humor, I am thoughtful, and I have always remained true to who I am.  I realized that as time has moved forward, I just happened to change the way I do things.  My priorities are a little different and my responsibilities have increased.  I just happen to look at things differently.  I am seeing things through older eyes - wiser eyes - more intense and introverted thinking is my thing.  I control my environment a bit much and just letting loose is the key to staying balanced in such an unbalanced existence.  I am still seeking my inner awesome, but I have noticed the inner awesome of others more.  It can be in something as simple as a smile, a laugh, or even an attitude.

I know that people can be superficial, but there is something that lays deeper under the surface that makes us who we are.  Some of the most beautiful people can be less than attractive once they open their mouth to speak.  I guess that is why I prefer to be myself.  I am not the most attractive person, but at least I am not the most boring.  I know, I know...  I have been way too hard on myself.  There are people who say I am attractive.  I just don't see it.  I see myself as a perpetual work in progress, there is always room for improvement.  The desire to reach perfection will never be achieved because once we get remotely close to what we thought was perfect, our thoughts change because we see other people as the barometer of what we want in life.  So what if one person seems to have it all.  It does not mean that they are happy with it.

I never tried to be one of those that "keep up with the Jones'", but I do have tendencies to compare myself to them.  I just have to remember that even if the "grass is greener on the other side of the fence", chances are, they just shovel the shit on their lawn better than I can for mine.  I am just happy that I have some really wonderful people in my life that remind me that I am special.  Having my friend remind me that I am the same person, just in a different package because we are always changing on the outside centered me somehow.  Getting older is not a curse, but a badge of honor we have gotten this far.  Sharing stories about life makes us more in tune to who we have become and what we really enjoyed in life.  Memories are a treasured thing.  They are priceless pieces of who we are.

Thanks for reading.
Have a glorious day :)

1 comment:

  1. You know that is what we do. We remember our life, and remembering the past is always touched with a little sorrow for some reason.

    Glad you had a good weekend. :)

    ReplyDelete